Sunday, March 11, 2018

"IT" Happened

Well, the inevitable "IT" happened.  The computer crashed.  IT was quite peaceful.  I went to start the computer up and was greeted by the prompt that informed me that "No bootable partition found hit F1 to reboot."  No number of hitting "F1" worked.  I consulted experts. Try this ... try that.  Google provided many options, I tried many; it was fruitless.  A new hard drive was needed, her keyboard died out long ago, and two USB ports didn't work.  Her peripherals kept her going for tge better part if a year ... but...  It was time to call "IT".   She was gone.  I pronouned "IT" on Saturday afternoon.  Her guts were strewn all over the the place. 

Surprisingly, there was a sense of peace.  We have spent three years together. I'm not what computer years that converts into. In a society where our cell phones are replaced every two years perhaps she was beyond her years.

Her replacement ordered and arrived over the next few days.   I was initially taken aback. I thought I ordered the same model.    But when her replacement arrived ...it was huge.  And heavy. And the keyboard was larger.  "Junior" seems slower.  The operating system similar ... but ....not.   My time spent trying to train the youngster to emulate her predecessor.  The youngster paired with my phone and now it is all different.  This has not been a fun couple of weeks.  I miss my old machine. 

My most recent back up was July 2017.  My project data was somewhere digitally stored on her predecessor's hard drive, perhaps it could be retreived.  Thankfully my Outlook has saved all my mail and there resides a good history trail.   For the rest of my work I have to move on from nine months back. It could have been worse, I could have been nine month in my ten month project.  That would have been tragic. 

Weird!  Why do we speculate the worse of a nonexistent future eventjust so that we can feel better about the tragedy of the present?  The current event precludes the reality of that future event happening.  It cant bw worse cause worse exists now. 

Then again, maybe there is something poetic about that nine months miasing.   New birth of ideas now that the old have been pronounced dead. Out of death comes new life.  Or I can hope that in the very least something that I don't yet phantom is out there before me and I have no choice but to live into that anyways.

Hope springs eternal....

oh ...

If you havent backed up your old girl laterly, you might want to do that before your "IT" happens cause this new birthing thing is painful business. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk the Walk Day 2

Today we start our walk but before that we visited Wesley Memorial UMC in Charlottesville.  This congregation is a sanctuary con...