Thursday, January 25, 2018

DMin - Nothing Like It

Day 3 - Don Marion - Saying Yes to Whatever

It was Friday evening (20 Feb 2015) and our Costa Rica Volunteer in Mission group gathered in the small dining hall at the top of the hill.  By this time, the anxiety of being asked to consider a move, albeit, I still didn't know where I was being asked to go where.  Don Marion was asked to come and join us and at one point he was given a microphone to speak to the group.  Now understand, for the most part of the week, Don Marion wasn't speaking and retaining very many conversations.  It was interesting that after the last couple of days when Jacki and I were retaining this information of being asked to move and the anxiety of the possibility of a move hung heavy.  I was sitting directly across from Don Marion in the front of the dining hall.  I had my phone out and I decided to record his speech to us.  

Don Marion shared his early journey arriving in Costa Rica on a United Fruit Company River Boat back in 1950.  He settled at that time in a predominantly Catholic country and started a mission to the people.  Over the years, group after group would come to Costa Rica as part of Volunteer in Mission projects.  Now at the age of 96, Don Marion reflected back.  I was able to catch the first six or so minutes of his speech that included humor, thoughtful reflection and a challenge and word from the Lord.  At the end of the speech, Don Marion's wife Mary shared that she hasn't heard him speak in such a manner for such a long time. Mary didn't know our struggle, nor did Don Marion, nobody but Jacki and me.  

I knew that the word that came from Don Marion was actually from God, it was God's way of saying it is time for something new.  I still didn't know what I was being asked into or where at this point, I only knew that I had to seriously consider the request from the bishop, particularly if I was going to buy into the saged advised from Don Marion, "There is nothing like giving your life, and meaning it when you say, here it is God, do what you want to do with it." 

I have uploaded the video which is about seven minutes long.  I've added subtitled to make it easier to read.  I hope that you will consider watching it. 


I had arranged to speak to the Frederick District Superintendent upon landing in Dulles International Airport.  A snowstorm was brewing on the East Coast of the United States and right now, it seemed questionable if we were going to make it back by Saturday evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk the Walk Day 2

Today we start our walk but before that we visited Wesley Memorial UMC in Charlottesville.  This congregation is a sanctuary con...