Friday, January 26, 2018

Invitation to Westminster

Day Four - DMin Project

We left Costa Rica on time but our connecting flight in El Salvador's airport was delayed and we circled around Dulles International Airport several times before arriving and wading through the long lines in customs as there was a shortage of customs agents ... all due to the snowstorm.  The decision to call the Frederick District Superintendent got pushed to Sunday morning.  Several feet of snow resulted in a precarious drive home which in turn made the decision to not hold worship at Mt Zion that Sunday morning a pretty easy decision. 
 
When I woke up I called Edgardo who shared that the bishop in consultation with his cabinet would like to move me to Westminster UMC. 

At the time there were two open appointments.and Jacki had heard the that in the autumn Westminster was placed under Ken Humbert' s leadership as an interim.  She reflected how great it would be to move there but at that time, I questioned the tradition of never being appointed to your home church; I also recognized that Westminster and Mt Zion were pretty much alike in demographics and frankly I liked where we were so I seriously doubted the possibility of a move. 

I sounded like Moses raising objections to the DS invite:  
  • "But I came.out Westminster UMC."  Yeah, they knew that they wanted someone very familiar with the congregation. 
  • "But I have family in the membership" that was half true, my brother-in-law a member... my wife's sister used to be a member.   The DS assured it wouldn't be a problem. 
  • "But I wasn't asking for a move, the congregation where I am wasn't asking me to move!"  "Pray about it, and give me a callback, you have twenty-four hours to consider the appointment change," the DS told me,  "The cabinet meets again on Tuesday, and at that time we will need to know your decision."
Pray, listen to.the Spirit, and make a decision ... twenty-four hours didn't seem like a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk the Walk Day 2

Today we start our walk but before that we visited Wesley Memorial UMC in Charlottesville.  This congregation is a sanctuary con...