Wednesday, January 24, 2018

DMin Project

Day Two - Unnerving News.

It was a particularly rainy mission trip to Costa Rica in February 2015.  I had been told that we have had weeks like this our projects were helping to rebuild a camp workers home and step next door neighbor the nearby village of El Mirador. 

The camp hosts were Mary and Marion Woods.  Don Marion was much respected in this,area and has served the Costa Rica Methodist as a missionary for decade he now suffered from dementia and yet was often as we talked through the week he would ask where we were from and how many of us were present, etc.  Conversations were limited. 

On late Wednesday, Jacki received a message via Facebook Messenger that my District Superintendent (DS) needed to speak to me.  The next morning I reached out to him and he shared that I needed to speak to Edgardo Rivera, DS of the Frederick District.  I couldn't believe that they were chasing me down while on a mission trip and I was being asked to accept a new appointment.  I didn't ask to move, my local church didn't ask me to move.  I already decided that I wouldn't take another local church beyond my present appointment.  I didn't know what I would do, but I knew I wasn't interested in a new appointment so in a previous meeting I told my DS that that I would like to stay as long as the bishop desired me to but I wasn't going to take another local appointment. 

My head spun and ran through all kinds of scenarios... my attitude and focus turned inward and seemed to align with the dull rainy weather.  It takes so much effort and energy to move, meet new people, and I have moved enough in my years besides each time I had decided that God had something different for me than another  local church.  

It would be four days before Edgardo and I would connect and I would receive the bishop's invitation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Walk the Walk Day 2

Today we start our walk but before that we visited Wesley Memorial UMC in Charlottesville.  This congregation is a sanctuary con...